Sunday 27 April 2008

Bread, Crepes and Crumble

This weekend I tried (again) to make some bread. I bought new yeast (Hovis fast action bread yeast for hand baking) and follow the instructions. The bread didn't have that strong yeast taste but it did not raise that much. I am using wholemeal flour so it might explain why. As I've got a fan oven, I dropped the temperature to 210˚C (instead of 230˚C) and got this:

It does look very compact on the picture (I guess it was really) but it wasn't bad. The crust was a bit thick. I didn't put enough salt so it was a bit bland but great with salted butter!
Well, this time it wasn't a complete disaster but I don't think I am ready to open a bakery...

Soon, it will be berries time in Scotland so I have to make some space in my freezer.
So, I made a red fruit crumble to use up the ones from last year.

Redcurrant, raspberries and blueberries...Yum!
For the crumble:
80g oat
80g wholemeal flour
80g demerara sugar
100g butter
50g coarsely grounded almond
I hope it will be good, I just made it up.

We are having birthdays party at work tomorrow (a lot of people were born around that time) and we usually all bake something so we have enough cakes for the entire week. One of the birthday girl requested some crepes.




the recipe:
250g flour
500ml milk
2 eggs
25g melted butter
mix the ingredients together. Leave it to rest for at least 1 hour.
Add a little bit of water if the dough is too thick then make the crepes.
They can be stuffed with whatever you fancy (cheese, ham, veg, jam, sugar, chocolate...).
If you like savoury ones, you can replace some of the flour with buckwheat flour.

Bon appetit!!!

4 comments:

Eve said...

If you use part white bread flour in your bread, you will find it will rise better. There is something about wholemeal that makes it not react so well to yeast, but I cannot for the life of me remember why at the moment.
I usually use a third to a quarter white flour in my bread to counteract this. Hope this is of help to you.

Eve said...

forgot to say, the crumble looks really great, makes me wonder if I should make one too. Crepes, now please don't let my sons see those or I will be slaving over a hot stove all evening

Manoute said...

Thanks Eve, I'll try to add some white flour next time.
The crumble was very good. It is so easy and quick to do compare to bread!

Charlie P said...

YEY! Thanks for the crepe recipe. My German housemate's girlfriend is French and once left some crepes on the table and they were AMAZING. I always thought they were just like normal pancakes but there's definitely something that makes them different :)