Tuesday 29 July 2008

Yellow Raspberries

In Scotland, July is the berries season: raspberries, strawberries, tayberries, gooseberries... (Well, blueberries and blackberries are later, in September)
And, I am lucky enough to get a lot of free raspberries at work! Last week I got some yellow raspberries. This is an ancient variety that is not as tasty as the red one but it doesn't have the acidity. So, I made some jam with them (I also got red ones) and made a small batch with half a banana in it. Banana flavour is very strong so if you want only a hint of it, you have to be very careful and use only a little. For 1 kg of raspberries, I used half a medium size banana.

Jam recipe:
1.2kg of fruit
1 kg of sugar
a vanilla pod (optional)
lemon juice

Mix everything in a large pan (ideally, use a copper jam pan). Leave it to soak until the sugar is dissolved. Boil for 30-45 min (it depend on the water content of the fruit and how thick you want it). Pour into clean jars. Close the jars and place them upside down for at least 10 min. Store in a dark cool place. You can keep it for years!
Enjoy.


On the knitting side, I've finished some baby jackets:

On Saturday morning, I started this project: a sheep yoke cardigan (size 9-12 month, free pattern here, or as a pdf dowload on Ravelry), on Sunday afternoon, I only had the sleeves left to knit but I realized that I don't have 4mm dpn!!! So now I am stuck. I don't know when I will have time to go 4mm dpn hunting before the knitting group in Newburgh (August 9th)!
Well, I can still tidy up the back and embroider the sheep...
Otherwise, it is a great pattern, very easy, top down, so no sewing!

My lace project is growing fast, I am on the fifth ball of yarn (I have 6) and it is as tall as me so far! I am really pleased with it. I am hoping to have it finish just before starting my Ravelympics project.

2 comments:

Di said...

Hmm, yellow raspberries, it seems so wrong, they should be red but the jam looks good!!

Wow, that's a lot of knitting been done! I was happy just to knit a little hat!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! I was looking for a good recipe for Golden raspberry jam and yours turned out perfect! Yours was the only recipe I could find specifically for the golden raspberries. Thanks again!