Saturday 17 January 2009

London

Stéphane and I went to London for a couple of days. We took the train from Dundee which takes as long as the plane without the security hassle. I had 2 x 6 hours of knitting :o))) I've managed a sock and a bit (see the picture with the knitting shops).
I had a few hours on my own as he was sitting an exam :o). So, before going to the knitting shop (they open from 11 am), I went to the British museum. I stayed much longer than expected, it is a great place.

It is huge so I mainly did the "living and dying" exhibition where a sculpture of Ron Mueck was also on display...

and the Egyptian department (I've always dreamt of seeing the Rosetta stone).

Within the Egyptian sculptures, there was an amazing piece of work from Tim Noble and Sue Webster made of mummified animals!

After that, I went yarn hunting. I started with I knit London, to buy some Malabrigo yarn...OUT OF STOCK !!!! I was gutted :o(((. I bought some sock yarn instead.
Then, I went to All the fun of the fair where I bought some lace weight, kidsilk haze and bamboo yarn and ended up at Loop. I didn't buy any yarn there (although, they had a lot of very nice , and very expensive, stuff) but some knitting needles and crochet hooks.

In the tube, I saw several adds for "The Times" and I particularly liked this one:

When we came back to Dundee, the head line of the Evening Telegraph made us laught... (the article is here but only the title is funny).

3 comments:

Louise said...

What a shame there was no malabrigo :( Still, it looks like you managed to add a little to the stash, good work!

Liz said...

I saw the Rosetta stone when I was 16. Back then it wasn't behind glass. I remember touching it, though I am sure we weren't allowed. I remember feeling SO connected to history after that... Kind of weird that all it took was a hunk of rock to help a kid realize that all that old stuff meant something important.

Liz said...

Would you send me your email address? I want to reply to your comments on my blog. :) Liz