Monday 15 October 2007

Lacquer

No pix today, it took me ages to upload them on Saturday !
The weather is fine here, not too hot: 28-30 degres and 66-76% humidity. We had a few showers. The only problem is MOSQUITOS ! They love me....
The food is wonderful.
Lacquer: You need a lot of patience to do lacquer. Luckily you buy the "voc" already made (wood covered with some fabric and glue and then 10 coats of lacquer. You have to sand between each coat of lacquer and it takes several days to dry). For my first lesson I had to dig the voc a little to put some shells and egg shell (the end result must be flat). The next day (Saturday morning) I went quickly to add a mix lacquer+limon from the red river. It is like groutings for the tiles. This morning I had to sand it, unfortunately the lacquer wasn't dry. It takes several days to dry and it also need a lot of humidity. Therefore, we have to build a wet chamber with wet towels. I've started another one. I will be working on these 2 only. I am not sure the result will be that great but the technic is interesting. You really have to think how and in which order you are going to do each layer and then, when you sand you can choose to let appear more or less of each layer. I hope it make sense ;0).
We didn't do much this weekend.
This afternoon I am showing the nanny, how to make a brioche...She speaks only vietnamese and my friend had to leave. I think we manage OK with sign language ! I am suppose to go with her to eat dog one evening so we are trying to understand each other.
Tomorrow I will do some shopping.
I am having 2 more lacquer lesson this week, on Wednesday and Friday.
That's it for today, next time, I'll upload some pix.

No comments: