Sunday 23 March 2008

Easter baking challenge

This weekend, I took part in Louise's baking challenge for Easter. I said to her that I don't think I would have the time (and the patience) to make the Colomba Pasquale but would bake a "fougasse" instead. It is a bread originated from the south east of France. I found an Easter version on internet with candied orange peel, pistachio, pine nut and orange blossom water. To be honest it was a disaster. I am crap at making bread, it has that strong yeast taste, the dough was too wet...Even Stephane thought it had a strange taste ! I should ask Louise to run a bread making course for me (her bread is fantastic). It is OK toasted with some butter and marmalade. Sorry Louise, I failed but I will send you the pictures as promised.






So, although I am sure I am the only one to blame, there is no point to give you the recipe. If you have a good bread recipe, just add the ingredients I mentioned above and it should do the trick.
Bread making is a skill I should learn, I'll put it on my to learn list.

2 comments:

Di said...

Hmm- I too failed in the Colomba challenge (I bought one in TK Maxx!!) but I made Hot Cross Buns for the first time today and they turned out well!! I also made pizza dough - for pizza with potato and gorganzola on top! Yum!

Enjoy Toulouse - see you when you get back!!

Louise said...

aw, Laurence, it looks good, you're too hard on yourself! There are so many variables when cooking with yeast and flour, it turns out different every time. I read somewhere that it can be difficult to get the yest to behave properly in rich sweet doughs, especially with the acidity from the peel. Maybe that's why many of these kinds of recipes have such long rising stages...