Tuesday 11 March 2008

Creative stitches and hobbycraft

Last weekend I was at the SECC in Glasgow for the creative stitches and hobbycraft fair. I was at the UK hand knitting association stand where I volunteered for teaching people to knit. It was great, I had a lot of fun. On the Saturday we were very busy teaching kids and on Sunday it was quieter. We had bags containing a ball of 100g of acrylic yarn, a pair of needles and explanations that we were giving away to everybody who stopped and took a bit of time to learn needle or finger knitting. We also had some free patterns for people who wanted to contribute to "Shaun the sheep and the great British PicKnit" (Info on the UK handknit association). Oops, I forgot to take a picture of the stand but I took a picture of the knitted gingerbread man house.

The fair was great (much better than the October one I've been told) and there were several stands for knitters. The one I was interested in was the New Lanark Heritage Center one. They have really good value for money wool: wool 80%/silk 20% , 10x50g balls for £9. I bought 20 balls of a brownie plum color.
I also got some sock yarn (I will make my own socks one of these days) and some DK (not on the picture, it change color from grey to pink).

I also discovered an amazing yarn made with possum fur. It is incredibly soft. I am quite proud of myself as I managed not to be tempted and didn't buy any. If you want to know more about it go there.
Other all, I really had a good weekend, met nice people and I will certainly do it again.

1 comment:

Di said...

Sounds like you had a good time!! I have some yarn from New Lanark - I am sure Ally gave it to me!