Sunday 24 May 2009

leaded stained glass lantern

I had my first lead class yesterday.
I made a simple design for a square lantern.
It is 15x15cm. By chance, my friend had 5x5cm square bevels, which are perfect for the centre of the panel.

Then, I had to choose the glass. I decided on several shades of yellow/orange.

I didn't take pictures of all the steps. Leading is much more time consuming than copper foiling but it is very interesting to learn. In 3hours I just had time to cut all the glass and lead came pieces for the 4 panels and to assemble one panel. I still have to solder the lead joins. I couldn't do it for this panel yesterday because my friend didn't have flat lead came needed for the top and bottom of the panel. I will ask the teacher at my class on Tuesday.

My friend explained me how to finish it (she lives too far for me to go easily), so I'll do that during my Tuesday classes.
There is an additional step when doing leaded glass compare to copper foil: cementing. It helps secure the glass in the came, strengthen, and weatherproofs the piece.
For more details about leaded glass panel, click here.

1 comment:

Di said...

It's looking good. I like the colours that you chose!