Monday 30 June 2008

Knitting in Erlangen

On June 14th, I met Silke and her 13 months old baby for a yarn shop tour in Erlangen. We ended up in a nice cafe for lunch and we also knitted a few stitches (it was world wide knit in public day).
According to several people on Ravelry, the best yarn shop in the area is Wollkontor. From the outside it doesn't look big, but inside it is like Aladdin's cave! It is huge! there is a room at the back behind the counter with all the sock yarn (I've never seen so much choice in my life!) and also a knitting machine, and more yarn!

Inside, it is very busy but the choice is amazing!

Some of the sock yarn:

So, my stash grew considerably during these 3 weeks (luckily I didn't have much time for shopping, otherwise, it would have been a lot worse!). I bought yarn in several places, so this is what I got:

In the meantime, I manage to knit a pair and a half of socks and 2/3 of a baby jacket (picture later, once it will be finished).

3 comments:

Charlie P said...

Woooooow! I want to go to Erlangen! It seems like the place to be for sock knitters. You've bought some gorgeous wool :)

Liz said...

Oh my! My mother would go crazy in that shop! She's the knitter...

Eve said...

Better late than never with leaving comment! My excuse; I was using mobile internet from Greece (holiday) and not able to figure out how to get the comment thing to work.
Anyway, when I saw your marvelous wolly pictures, I thought I recognised the multicolour wool as the wool I bought in Denmark earlier this year and was infact using in Greece. Home again I have checked, it is.
I used most of one of my 2 balls to make a crochet dodecahedron ball (pictures will be on my blog later today). I felted this and can tell you that after a machine wash at 40 degrees C, nothing much happened, but after a wash at 60 degrees it felted nicely and became lovely and soft. Just thought I would pass on my experiences.

I do envy you having visited that shop, must see what I can find when I drive to Denmark (from UK via Calais) in September