Sunday 11 November 2007

Vietnamese food

I am back in sunny Dundee.
As promised, I am going to take a bit of time to post more pictures of my wonderful trip ( I should call it 31 days in heaven !).

First, I am going to talk about food. Vietnamese cuisine is one of the best cuisine in the world (after French cuisine, of course ;0)). You can eat exotic things like dogs or snake (I didn't eat snake this time, as I had some during my previous trip to Vietnam 5 years ago) as well as simple soup prepared with fresh ingredients, grilled meat, fruit juice.... You can enjoy great food in the street for few thousand dongs (few pennies) or go to 5 stars palace and have more elaborate food for a dozen of british pounds (a bargain !).
I enjoyed all that of course as well as home cooked meal as I was staying with friends and the Vietnamese nanny was a really good cook.


Sugar cane juice






















Oysters










Shells













Fritters













Dim Sum are originated from china. It designated a wide range of light dishes.











Dim sum.












Sweet dim sum
















Pho.
This is a traditional vietnamese noodle soup originated from North Vietnam. In Hanoi people eat pho for breakfast.
It is a bowl of white rice noodles in clear beef broth with thin cuts of beef or chicken.
You can ganish the dish with onions, coriander and other vietnamese herbs and adjust the flavor with sauces such as fish sauce.
You can order some garnishes such as unlaid eggs (the yellow balls on the picture). Delicious.

Soup















Boiled fertilized quail eggs













Boiled fertilezed hen egg. If you open it, you can distinguished all the different parts of the future chicken ! It is better to choose it recently fertilized as the texture is similar to the egg texture.








Eggs, maize, cane stuffed with glutinous rice cooked on a barbecue in the streets of Sapa.

No comments: