Saturday 3 November 2007

Lacquer



Done !
I did it, in less than 4 weeks. This week I had to sand the lacquer, and believe me, this is a hard and lengthy job ! You first sand with a very fine sand paper then you use a stone. You have to be extremely careful not to sand too much and you also have to remember in which order and how thick each lacquer coat is! When the lacquer is smooth and flat you have to polish it so it become shiny. For that you have to use a tiny amount of a sort of clay powder (it feels like greasy) and your hand. I had some help to polish the 2 lacquer otherwise I wouldn't have had enough time to finish them.
The final touches are golden leaves.
The pictures will evolve with time and the final result will be reach in 2-3 years. I told you, you need patience with lacquer !
Now my biggest challenge will be to bring them back. They are extremely fragile and heavy. Additionnally they are bigger than the authorised hand luggage size... I will probably have to buy a hard suitcase and pack them with a lot of bubble wrap. Encens, pray and some bank notes to buddha will help as well, I hope.



1 comment:

Louise said...

They look great Laurence. Good luck for the journey, I'm looking forward to seeing them face to face!